My Goal: To read a talk a day from the General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and blog about it.

I know this will help me but I also hope you will join me in my journey. The principles taught at Conference are true principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and will bring you everlasting happiness.



Click on the Title to View Entire Talk
Read it and then feel free to share your favorite quote and why.
Let's learn together!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Continue in Patience

by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Priesthood Session April 2010


Patience is a virtue  After receiving my Patriarchal Blessing which said, "You will be an excellent mother.  You have been taught well since childhood." ... I thought I would be patient naturally because my mom is the most patient person I know.  I deduced that I had learned from her so it was a given, but  I had a lot to learn!

The Marshmallow Test

A group of kids were given a marshmallow and told if they waited 15 minutes to eat it they would be given 2.  Only 30% of the group waited to get double the fun.  Unfortunately, I would have fit in the failed group.  I am getting better at this but still find times where I can't stand waiting.

Waiting Can Be Hard

"We live in a world offering fast food, instant messaging, on-demand movies, and immediate answers to the most trivial or profound questions. We don’t like to wait. Some even feel their blood pressure rise when their line at the grocery store moves slower than those around them.

Patience—the ability to put our desires on hold for a time—is a precious and rare virtue. We want what we want, and we want it now. Therefore, the very idea of patience may seem unpleasant and, at times, bitter.

Nevertheless, without patience, we cannot please God; we cannot become perfect. Indeed, patience is a purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses action, and offers hope for peace. "

I am so concerned with the trends I see in today's society. Children and adults live in a world where we get want we want when we want it. You don't often hear people talking about scrimping and saving for things anymore. I think it has gotten a little better in the recession but I am still amazed at the spending I see all around.

Patience isn't Merely Waiting

"...patience was far more than simply waiting for something to happen—patience required actively working toward worthwhile goals and not getting discouraged when results didn’t appear instantly or without effort."

I am always trying to teach my kids this. When they try new things, they want to be the best at it. They try to quit when that doesn't immediately happen. I often tell them that being the best requires a lot of work and time.


Patience Requires Faith

"We must learn that in the Lord’s plan, our understanding comes “line upon line, precept upon precept.” In short, knowledge and understanding come at the price of patience."

I was taught well from childhood and over the years have been able to become more and more patient with my children. It wasn't instant like I thought it would be but a process over time. I'm not perfect, or even close, but as I stay prayerful my patience increases.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I did the marshmallow test with my kids a couple days ago and Christian ate it immediately, but to my surprise Bella and Timmy both waited. (I guess I should increase my confidence in them, because I didn't think they would be able to do it)