My Goal: To read a talk a day from the General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and blog about it.

I know this will help me but I also hope you will join me in my journey. The principles taught at Conference are true principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and will bring you everlasting happiness.



Click on the Title to View Entire Talk
Read it and then feel free to share your favorite quote and why.
Let's learn together!

Monday, September 13, 2010

O Remember, Remember

by President Henry B. Eyring
Sunday Morning October 2007

I saw this video on Mormon's Message and decided to go back a few years and re-read the talk. As I began reading I remembered this talk and was filled with the Spirit because of the truthfulness of what he is saying.
Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?



Many years ago Oprah started the "gratitude journal" rage. She told her audience to look over their day and find all the things they had to be thankful for. Doing this would help you to be a happier and more positive person.

Elder Eyring takes this concept much more in depth as we look for and recognize the hand of the Lord in our lives.

"More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened."

Because of the veil placed over us as we came to Earth it is easy for man to forget God's hand in our lives. This weekend at our Stake Conference Sister Julie Beck said, "We fought a war so we could have a difficult life in mortality!" She reminded us that we chose to come here.

Further, we need to stay humble. Pride is a huge stumbling block!

"And the challenge to remember has always been the hardest for those who are blessed abundantly. Those who are faithful to God are protected and prospered. That comes as the result of serving God and keeping His commandments. But with those blessings comes the temptation to forget their source. It is easy to begin to feel the blessings were granted not by a loving God on whom we depend but by our own powers."

" Sadly, prosperity is not the only reason people forget God. It can also be hard to remember Him when our lives go badly. When we struggle, as so many do, in grinding poverty or when our enemies prevail against us or when sickness is not healed, the enemy of our souls can send his evil message that there is no God or that if He exists He does not care about us. Then it can be hard for the Holy Ghost to bring to our remembrance the lifetime of blessings the Lord has given us from our infancy and in the midst of our distress.

There is a simple cure for the terrible malady of forgetting God, His blessings, and His messages to us. Jesus Christ promised it to His disciples when He was about to be crucified, resurrected, and then taken away from them to ascend in glory to His Father. They were concerned to know how they would be able to endure when He was no longer with them."

We have been given a tool to help us along the way. THE HOLY GHOST

We need to learn to listen and use the Holy Ghost in our lives. We could all improve a little, or a lot ... none of us are perfect.

" I testify to you that the warm feelings you have had as you have listened to truth being spoken in this conference are from the Holy Ghost. The Savior, who promised that the Holy Ghost would come, is the beloved, glorified Son of our Heavenly Father.

Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized. I know that is true, and it brings me joy to remember Him."

No comments: